Sunday, August 05, 2018

2015, I Hardly Knew Ya!

Wow! It's been a lot of work going back through all these years of photographs. I knew that my Mom and Dad took a lot of pictures but I had no idea. But, it has been worth it to relive the memories. Like the beginning of the 2014 post, this is the main overview post for 2015. A few others for 2015 will be posted separately. 

February 2015: It's an odd number year so that means another Daddy-Daughter Dance at my school!  Fun fact, this year, 2018/2019, will be my last Daddy-Daughter Dance. Unless they do something like that in high school. 

April 2015: Easter Sunday. After dinner and the annual egg hunt at Babcia's my Dad helped me sort through my bag of plastic eggs. The Easter Bunny always puts a piece of candy in each egg.


May 2015: Every summer, my Dad teachers an environmental science field study class at his middle school. It's a 3-week long course for 7th-8th grade students. Each week they go on a different expedition: hiking, canoeing, camping, etc. That means that my Mom and I often go with my Dad in advance and scope out a trail or a camping spot. This year, we went to Southern Illinois to check out a trail and right when we arrived, it began to rain. Like down pour. I got a little mud on my shoe as you can see. 


June 2015: 
Since my Dad is gone/busy a lot with his class in June, my Mom and I like to try and stay busy ourselves. Here are some of the things that we did in June.
I'm posing for a photo with my dog, Clara, at the Graffiti Wall, which is down along the Mississippi River.  

We went to see a historic reenactment at Fort de Chartres. The guns and cannons were really loud! And, I'm loving this feather fan! Or, using the fan to hide from my fans.
 Had another violin recital. Here I am with my violin teacher, Miss Hannah after the recital. 

 Goofin' around at the St. Louis Zoo
Dyed my hair blue. I went to our salon and had it done right so it lasted for a really long time! 
Feeding goats at Grant's Farm. This is a St. Louis tradition! We even have photos somewhere of my Mom and her sister feeding the goats at Grant's Farm when they were kids! 

July 2015: 
July was a really fun and busy month, too. Not only did we do some fun things in St. Louis, we also went on our annual family vacation as well. But, I'll post about that separately.  
 My family celebrating 4th of July at Babcia's house. Dad is wearing a headband with some kind of festive holiday-appropriate tassels on top. I'm sporting my Old Navy blue dress with stars. I LOVED that dress! Wore it until it became a shirt! lol! My cousin, David, is sitting on the bench in the background.
 Mom and I went to the St. Louis Art Museum. I'm contemplating this triptych, which we have to look at every time because it is one of my Mom's favorite pieces in the the museum. It was painted by the artist Gerhard Richter.   

Another place that everyone must go to in the St. Louis area is the World Bird Sanctuary. It's one of our favorite places to visit and see some beautiful birds and other animals. They do rehabilitation and release work, when possible, but they also have permanent birds some of which have been trained to visit classrooms and such to help educate the public about the challenges of habitat loss and such.

August 2015: 
By the end of August, I was a 5th grader! Hard to believe. Especially for my parents. But before I started back to school, a few things happened in August.  

Like this. I signed up for my first Improve Camp and I LOVED it! My 5th grade teacher and her husband were the instructors. Since one of my classmates is also their son, a lot of my friends also ended up taking that camp that summer, too. Our parents were invited to come to the last night of the session so we could demonstrate the different improv techniques that we had learned that week.  The boys kind of hogged the stage but it was still fun to show off my skills.   
 The 2015/2016 school year was the first year that the construction on our brand new middle school was completed; it was finally ready to be used. Since I was only in 5th grade, my classroom was still in one of the older buildings but my Mom made me stand in front of the new building so she could take a photograph. 
 

And, finally, here I am on my first day of 5th grade! My Mom took the top two photos at home before school started that morning. My Grandma Debbie took the bottom one when she took me to school that morning. I look sleep but ready to go! 



September 2015: Girl Scouts were in full swing in September. One of the parents arranged an outing to a place called Central Print in Old North St. Louis. They told us about the history of printing making and showed us it was done. Then, we got to try it. Our troop was also in charge of planting flowers in the big planters outside our school. We just had a soccer game but it was the best time for everyone to do the gardening.

November 2015: It's Thanksgiving time again. That means dinner at Babcia's. It also means that it's time for my Dad and I to play the piano together. 




December 2015: My birthday month! Wicked finally made it back to St. Louis. My Mom and I went to see it at the Fox Theatre. I was so excited! In fact, I can't wait for it to come back again. My Mom just got an email that it's going to be in Tulsa soon. That can only mean that it will be here soon too!  

I also turned eleven this month, on the 8th. My teacher, Mrs Kavanaugh, commemorated her student's "big day" by creating a "Birthday Medallion," which was a paper plate that had been decorated with the kind words and well wishes of your classmates. I'm wearing it in the photos that my Mom took after I got home from school that day. 

And, look at my birthday gifts! They were from Babcia and all Playmobil. Every year for my birthday, Babcia bought me a set of Playmobil. Like I had the circus set. And the school. And the hospital. And the family house. And the, and the, and the ..... And each one had the WHOLE set. Yeah, like every accessory that came with it. It was SO MUCH FUN to play the all of those Playmobil sets. But, I finally got a little too old for them. In fact, this might have been the last year that I got a set. 




No comments: