Thursday, August 23, 2018

Virginia 2016. Or, Family Vacation!

Our big destination this year was Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains (of the larger Appalachian Mountains) in Virginia. We didn't really make too many side stops along the way so most of our road time was just that: road time. We did stop and visit Woodrow Wilson's Presidential Museum and birthplace in Staunton, Virginia. 


We made it to Shenandoah Nation Park and it was gorgeous! So much beautiful forest. It must be extra gorgeous in the fall. 



Sunset at Blackrock near Big Meadow Lodge 

 Me under a huge green rock on the Loft Mountain Loop
  

Hawksbill Summit 

After a week in the park, we headed to Chincoteague Island for a few days. Chincoteague, in addition to having a regular beach for recreation, is also the Virginia part of Assateague Island. Both are known for their wild ponies


Me and Dad on the beach making sand castles. (above)
Me and Dad getting ready for our kayaking trip to see the wild ponies. (below)





A beach vacation is not complete without a round of miniature golf. 



And, yes, I finally had my precious pool time! 


Dad had a workshop to attend at the University of Virginia so our final destination was Charlottesville. Plus, we wanted to be able to visit our good family friend, John, who lives in Charlottesville and teaches over at James Madison University. 

We visited the historic campus of the University of Virginia twice over the next couple of days since there was so much to see. University of Virginia was founded by founding father, President, and Virginian, Thomas Jefferson. 


Me, hugging a statue of President Thomas Jefferson. 


Me, in front of Jefferson's Rotunda. 


Me, in front if an exhibit called "Kings of Freedom" by Dennis Kaun. This installation was made from panels from the Berlin Wall. On loan, it was installed at the University of Virginia to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.  


Finally, we went to the Freedom of Speech Wall in Charlottesville where I wrote my name, 'cause I was free to do that. 

My Mom and I left my Dad in Charlottesville and we headed home. We made a two night detour stop in Cincinnati, Ohio. This was right after the killing of Harambe so naturally we had to visit the Cincinnati Zoo.  It was really eerie because there were no gorillas out on display and no one around the enclosure except us. I was all so well protected that it makes you wonder how a child could have got into the exhibit. But, kids are fast..... We saw these pretty flamingos too. 


 My mom let me order room service for dinner too. I was so excited!


But the real reason that we were there was to visit the William Howard Taft National Historic Site and the Taft Museum of Art. No trip is ever complete without a stop at an art museum. Or so says my Mom. Whenever we visit a museum, even to this day, my Mom always asks me which piece was my favorite one and why. Then, I have to have my picture taken with it. Here I am, posed with my favorite from the Taft: 


Me with the Pieter de Hooch (Dutch, 1629-1684), A Woman with a Cittern and a Singing Couple at a Table, c. 1667, oil on canvas

Our final stop on Virginia 2016 was an overnight in Indianapolis so we could go to the American Girl Doll store. But, no photos of that so you'll just have to use your imagination. Truth be told though, you're not missing out on anything. The clerk told us that they had opened the store as a seasonal store with plans to close it the following January. It did so well that corporate decided to leave it open, temporarily. We visited in July so I guess they were still doing well but they hadn't done any improvements to the space to make it look any more than just a temporary space with no real AG feel or decor.  

No comments: